Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Japanese Supermarket - Corn



Although I was born in Tokyo, I was raised on the shores of Lake Wobegon in Minnesota. Summer meals were filled with corn growing up. Roadside farmer's markets sold freshly picked corn on the cob, a large paper sack for $1 for about a dozen. I even spent a summer detassling corn. Walking down long lanes of corn, pulling out the tassles on the top of the cornstalk.

Imagine then, my jaw dropping when I came into this Japanese supermarket and saw the corn laid out so carefully and artistically. The attention to detail and how produce is cared for is impressive here in Japan.

Yesterday at lunch with a friend at a kappo restaurant, the chef grilled fresh corn. He said that, like melons, all of the corn on a stalk were sacrificed except for one. The one corn then gets all of the nutrition and energy from the plant creating a very expensive corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment