Friday, April 9, 2010

Shinji's Bento 進児の弁当



Assembling Shinji's bento is always fun for me. If I am lucky, there are enough osouzai, or side dishes, in the fridge to just put the bento together. I try to put at least one type of protein in each bento. The rest of the components are usually vegetable or sea vegetable based. There are the usual suspects that you see in here like:

kinpira gobo, sauteed burdock root and carrots - 2nd from left
tamagoyaki - Japanese sweet omelet - 3rd from left
shioyaki shake - salted and grilled salmon - far right

After I have sorted out that these will go in the bento I then scan the fridge and freezer for what I have that I can quickly pull together. Raw vegetables can always be pickled in salt or in a sweet vinegar.

On this day I had some ground pork and some greens. From this I made two dishes.

The one on the far left is a simple stir-fry of the ground pork and greens, seasoned with salt, soy sauce, and sesame oil.

Then with the rest of the ground pork I made a seasoned pork burger. Add some minced onions, salt, pepper, and soy sauce into the meat and quickly fry.

Of course, it is better to organize the bento the night before. I put the dishes in different tupperware and then in the morning assemble the bento while I am cooking the rice.

Bento Box on FoodistaBento Box

No comments:

Post a Comment